All Special event organizers shall implement an effective recycling program at each licensed event:
Cooperation and coordination among all vendors, merchants, and organizers is important to ensure the successful separation and collection of recyclable materials at your events. As the organizer, it is essential for you to communicate the recycling program to everyone involved.
Recycling and waste reduction at large venues or large events in the City of Temecula:
Effective July 1, 2005 California Assembly Bill 2176 (AB2176) went into effect which requires recycling programs to be developed and implemented at large venues and events and then reported, upon the request of the City.
What events are subject to AB 2176?
1) An event which services an average of more than 2,000 individuals (including employees and volunteers) per day of operation.
2) Charges an admission or is sponsored by the City of Temecula
For example: If a non-profit organization runs a free event with over 2,000 participants daily and the City has provided financial support this would qualify as a large even under AB 2176. AB 2176 specifically includes golf courses, parks, parking lots, sporting events, street systems and open area markets when being used for an event.
1) The event organizer shall provide recycling opportunities for the participants, employees and volunteers.
2) The event organizer shall contact the City’s franchised solid waste hauler, CR&R at 1-800-755-8112 for disposal of event trash. Only the City’s franchisee may haul solid waste.
3) Promote recycling at the event using banners at the entrances, signs on garbage and recycling containers, statements in brochures and public address announcements.
4) Place recycling and trash receptacle together; there should never be a trash area without a recycling option. This will reduce contamination and increase the volume of recyclables collected.
If your venue or event qualifies as a large venue or a large event, what do you need to do?
1) Venue operators and Event planners will need to contact Barbara Smith, in the Community Services
Dep. for the City of Temecula at (951) 694-6480,Barbara.email@example.com
2) Venue operators and event planners shall contact and work with Dolores Sanchez Badillo, of CR&R, Inc.
Call 1(800)755-8112 to develop a recycling plan. Dolores can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
a) Plan recycling programs.
b) Establish goals.
c) Prepare timeline to implement programs for the planning stages, during and after the event.
3) Venue operators and Event planners will prepare a recycling report, within 30 days after the event, which contains the following information;
d) Name, location and brief description of the venue/event.
e) Brief description of the types of wastes generated.
f) Types and estimated amounts of materials disposed by weight.
g) Types and estimated amounts of material diverted by weight.
h) Information on existing waste reduction, reuse and recycling programs.
"WASTE IS A FORM OF INEFFICIENCY"
If you have any questions, or would like a review of your recycling plan, call CR&R at 1-800-755-8112 or the City of Temecula Development Services Department at 951-694-6400.